Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

February 19, 2013

Poolside Charm By Haskell Harris


So apparently my girl Haskell Harris thinks I need some pool help.

I do. You all saw the mess. Admit it, you think it too.

So when Haskell sends me a pool mood board complete with Slim Aarons inspiration, I take note. In fact, I take note of anything Haskell says. Considering she's a ten year veteran in the shelter magazine world where she held editor titles at both Cottage Living and Garden & Gun, the girl knows what she's talking about. She now spends her time here in Charleston at Haskell Harris Creative focusing on all things aesthetic, including freelance editorial work, brand development, and interior design (yes you can actually hire her!). She's pretty much the belle of southern decor.

So back to that day I started to tell you about. I get a text ding ding from her that says, "this is you this summer".


And then my inbox went ding ding too. Jackpot.

"In general I think of your look as a little midcentury with a whole lotta LA/California thrown in."


I couldn't agree more. In Haskell's words...

"Towels from the amazing collection by Natori which at 29 bucks a pop for a towel that looks like modern art is pretty awesome. Love the floral one because it has so many colors and when you put it with a geometric it's all of a sudden fresh...

Plastic, Slim Aarons-ish sixties striped tumblers in cornflower blue because nobody wants glass around a pool with children and drinks should be part of the game plan, virgin or not!

Chinoserie is a huuuuge tend right now and it's so classic too, which is why I love the fun pagoda shape of these khaki umbrellas. Also, it's a steal.

Flyaway sticks my Madison James keep mosquitos at bay without harsh chemicals. They've been around awhile but I still think they're the best solution.

The best wicker chaise ever invented for ikea... 'nuf said. It's called the Karlskrona. It's good.

And finally, a beach bag to keep toys and other crap from exploding all over the pool area. Love this company. Super well made, great colors. I would keep lots of these bad boys at hand so you could pack them up for Sullivan's quickly, too! "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So... isn't it the most, to say the least? I'm especially dying over the towels, umbrella, and chaises!! Who's coming over to hang?

PS, if you aren't reading Haskel's new blog, Magpie, you are missing the float, errr I mean boat.

Slim Aarons' top image from the book A Place in the Sun.

9 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

yes, yes, yes. This is good stuff!

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

I want that to be me this summer. I will most likely be inviting myself to your pool seeing we don't have one. So sweet of Haskell to send you this, off to check out (stalk) her blog!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Fabulous! And I love that she gave us some snippets of your home ;)

Anonymous said...

If you saw my backyard, you'd appreciate yours soooo much more. OK So I need those amazing towels now, the wicker chaises and that amazing pagoda esque umbrella!!!!!! Great selections, my lady! xo

lizziefitz said...

Is it possible that everything & everyone around you are all so cool?... I think yes! You absolutely need to follow Haskell's design . I need more texts ( people) like that in my life:)

Calder said...

uber chic, but what else from 2 of my buds?! way cool.

caycee said...

That chair makes me so happy ;) So you must invite me over so I can see all this prettiness in person!

Unknown said...

What a fun text - I want to look like that this summer!

Unknown said...

How amazing! I wouldn't pass up free design advice from Haskell either!